Grant Deadline: February 28th, 2018
Background and Purpose
Created at The Winnipeg Foundation in December of 2001, the Moffat Family Fund represents a vision for “a Canadian society where all individuals have equal opportunities to develop their potential.” The Fund, which consists of the annual interest from a large investment, is directed to programs giving children and families an equal chance in society and is designated for distribution in communities where the Moffat family operated their media businesses – radio, TV and cable.
The funds are for charitable agencies and programs that fulfill the family’s vision. According to family spokesperson Randy Moffat, that vision is to create “tangible results in improved lives and realized potential for children and families who have not had the same good fortune and opportunities that my family and I enjoy.”
The South Saskatchewan Community Foundation (SSCF) is facilitating applications for these grants.
Guidelines and Criteria
- SSCF can only grant to registered charities or qualified donees and a Department of National Revenue Taxation Charity Registration number is an eligibility requirement.
- A non-charitable receipt is required. If not registered, a formal partner with a charitable status number is needed and a formal agreement included as part of a complete application.
- Priorities areas of the Moffat Family Fund are the City of Moose Jaw and District.
- Priority will be given to innovative projects that will benefit families with children and youths and important charitable causes, as demonstrated by the application.
- Grants are intended to support projects rather than ongoing programs.
- Grants are not made for the publication of books, magazines, films, tapes or other media of communication including funding for any marketing or advertising activities or fundraising activities.
- Grants are not made for endowments, contingencies, reserves or deficit financing.
- Grants are not made for any political purposes.
- Grants are not made to organizations or for activities that promote discrimination or that do not comply with SSCF policy.
- Grants are not made to any religious organizations where the funds would be used to further the organization’s religious purposes.
- Grants are not made to support projects normally financed by public tax funds or that appear to be sufficiently funded.
- Organizations with any overdue SSCF reporting are ineligible to apply or receive new funds from SSCF.
- Organizations may only submit one application per Moffat Family Fund deadline.
- A grant agreement will be required. Grants are only to be used for the purpose described and approved. Any unused portion of the grant must be returned to SSCF.
- A report on how a grant has been expended and the impact it has made is required 30 days after the project end date, in this case no later than August 15, 2019.
Types of Grants
Applications for Equipment Grants or Special Grants will be considered.
Equipment Grants: for the acquisition of new or used equipment used to deliver programs or services consistent with the aims of the Moffat Family Fund.
Special Grants: for the delivery of special programs or projects specifically designed to meet community needs that are consistent with the aims of the Moffat Family Fund.
How to Apply
- Submissions are to be made to SSCF by downloading and completing the fillable PDF and emailing by the application deadline. Complete applications must be received by SSCF (email@example.com) on or before February 28, 2018.
- Before applying please read the application guidelines and contact the SSCF office to confirm eligibility.
- You will receive a confirmation email within two days of receipt of the application. If you do not, please contact the SSCF.
- The SSCF office may request further details, if required.
- The Moffat Family Fund is a competitive grant program. The requests for support typically exceed the amount of funds available, and worthy projects may not be supportable.
- SSCF office will advise the applicant in writing of the decision of the Board of Directors.
- All SSCF decisions regarding an application and interpretation of guidelines are final. This does not, however, preclude the submission of another application at a later date.
- SSCF has the right to update and revise its program information at any time.
To be considered a complete application, the following documentation must be received by SSCF (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the deadline:
- Complete and signed application form
- Project budget (revenues and expenses must equal)
- Annual financial statements, preferably audited if the organization has been in existence for more than a year
- Copy of your most recent annual report, if available
- Agreement with partner (re. charitable status), if applicable
- All pertinent material that the applicant feels will help in the evaluation of the application.
Email complete applications on or before the deadline date to email@example.com.
Application Form – coming soon*
For any grant related questions please email Donor & Grant Services Administrator Cindy Hauck at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact:
Acting Executive Director
Updated: July 4th, 2018