Grants are made to promote social, cultural, religious and other activities deemed beneficial to the city of Regina, and to other communities in the Province of Saskatchewan. Grants often focus on supporting outreach to those in need, providing educational opportunities and supporting the arts.
Deadline for applications September 1 and March 1
Online applicaitons will be reviewed and a short list for further consideration will be created. If your applicaiton is added to the short list, you will be contacted and asked to provide additional information that may include:
A. For a Capital Grant:
1. Details of cost of building or facilities to be provided, how estimated, whether land costs, etc. included, and details of any existing indebtedness.
B. For a Major Equipment Grant:
C. For a Special Grant:
Please address application to:
The Lorne and Evelyn Johnson Foundation
3934 Gordon Road
Regina, Saskatchewan S4S 6Y3
Tel: (306) 586-0944
The Lorne and Evelyn Johnson Foundation was established in 1962, with the objective of furthering the religious, educational and cultural life of Regina and the Province. The Johnsons saw the foundation as a way for them to continue to support those activities in which they had participated, and for so long enjoyed.
Lorne Johnson was born in Aylmer, Ontario, and moved west in 1906 to work in Winnipeg for the general land agent of the Canadian Northern Railway. He moved to Regina in 1909 when he acquired an interest in the Eastern Saskatchewan Land Company.
In 1911, Mr. Johnson was one of a small group of Regina businessmen who organized Sterling Trust Corporation, which later expanded its activities beyond Saskatchewan and established its head office in Toronto. He was general manager of its Saskatchewan branch from 1918 until he resigned in 1941. He was also president and director of several other companies including Lorne Johnson Co. Ltd.
Mr. Johnson married Evelyn Vrooman in 1916. She was a native of Ontario and a graduate of the Toronto Conservatory School of Expression where she also studied piano. After graduation, she taught public speaking and dramatic art. Mrs. Johnson was a member of the Women’s Art Associate of Canada and the Canadian Literature Club.
Mrs. Johnson was very active in promoting the interest and role of women in Canadian Society. She held offices in the Local Council of Women of Regina, the Provincial Council of Women, and was a life-member of the National Council of Women. She was also active in the Women’s Canadian Club and the Red Cross, where she held offices at the local and provincial level.
The couple was active in the social and cultural life of Regina. They were both active supporters of Regina College. He was a member of the Board of Directors from 1918 to 1935 when it was taken over by the University of Saskatchewan. She served on the executive of the Women’s Educational Club. Mr. Johnson was one of the founders of the Regina Symphony Orchestra and the Regina Orchestral Society, serving as president and director. Mrs. Johnson was a governor of the Regina Orchestral Auxiliary from 1935 to her death, and was a member of the Regina Women’s Music Club for many years.
They were active and enthusiastic patrons of the arts. He was president and long-time member of the Regina Art Centre Association and she was a member of the Women’s Art Association of Canada.
In addition to their cultural activities, the Johnsons were active in many other organizations: he in the Masonic Lodge, the Wa Wa Shrine, the Order of Demolay, and she in the Forget Chapter of the I.O.D.E., the Victorian Order of Nurses, and Big Sisters.
Mr. Johnson died in 1971 and his wife died in 1978.