Grant Deadline: February 28
Background and Purpose
Created at The Winnipeg Foundation in December of 2001, the Moffat Family Fund represents a vision for “a Canadian society where all individuals have equal opportunities to develop their potential.” The Fund, which consists of the annual interest from a large investment, is directed to programs giving children and families an equal chance in society and is designated for distribution in communities where the Moffat family operated their media businesses – radio, TV and cable.
The funds are for charitable agencies and programs that fulfill the family’s vision. According to family spokesperson Randy Moffat, that vision is to create “tangible results in improved lives and realized potential for children and families who have not had the same good fortune and opportunities that my family and I enjoy.”
The South Saskatchewan Community Foundation (SSCF) is facilitating applications for these grants in support of the City of Moose Jaw and District.
Guidelines and Criteria
- SSCF can only grant to registered charities or qualified donees and a Department of National Revenue Taxation Charity Registration number is an eligibility requirement.
- A non-charitable receipt is required. If not registered, a formal partner with a charitable status number is needed and a formal agreement included as part of a complete application.
- The project/activity is intended to benefit children and families in the City of Moose Jaw and District.
- Priority will be given to innovative projects as demonstrated by the application.
- Priority will be given to grants to support special projects/activities rather than ongoing programs.
- Grants are not made for the publication of books, magazines, films, tapes or other media of communication including funding for any marketing or advertising activities or fundraising activities.
- Grants are not made for fundraising campaigns, endowments, contingencies, reserves or deficit financing.
- Grants are not made for any political purposes.
- Grants are not made to organizations or for activities that promote discrimination or that do not comply with SSCF policy.
- Grants are not made to any religious organizations where the funds would be used to further the organization’s religious purposes.
- Grants are not made to support projects/activities that appear to be sufficiently funded or tenuous.
- Organizations with any overdue SSCF reporting are ineligible to apply or receive new funds from SSCF.
- Organizations may only submit one application per Moffat Family Fund deadline.
- A grant agreement will be required. Grants are only to be used for the purpose described and approved. Any unused portion of the grant must be returned to SSCF.
- A report on how a grant has been expended and the impact it has made is required 30 days after the project end date, in this case no later than August 15, 2019.
Types and Amounts of Grants
Applications for Equipment Grants or Special Grants will be considered.
- Equipment Grants: for the acquisition of new or used equipment used to deliver programs or services consistent with the aims of the Moffat Family Fund.
- Special Grants: for the delivery of special programs or projects designed to meet community needs that are consistent with the aims of the Moffat Family Fund.
- Amount of Grants: grant award amounts range from $1,000 to $20,000 with the average amount being $3,000.
How to Apply
- Submissions are to be made to SSCF by using our new Online Grant Portal:
- Create a login profile with your contact information and that of your organization
- In advance of finalizing your application through the Online Grant Portal:
- Download and complete the required the Moffat Grant Budget Form so that you are prepared to upload it as part of your complete application
- Have ready your Financial Statements and Annual Report to upload as part of a complete application; and
- Have ready any other pertinent materials, in electronic form, that you wish to upload as part of your application.
- Before applying please read the application guidelines and contact the SSCF office to confirm eligibility.
- You will receive a confirmation email immediately after submitting your Online Application. If you do not, please contact the SSCF.
- The SSCF office may request further details, if required.
- The Moffat Family Fund is a competitive grant program. The requests for support typically exceed the amount of funds available, and worthy projects may not be supportable.
- SSCF office will advise the applicant in writing of the decision of the Board of Directors.
- All SSCF decisions regarding an application and interpretation of guidelines are final. This does not, however, preclude the submission of another application at a later date.
- SSCF has the right to update and revise its program information at any time.
To be considered a complete application, the following documentation must be received by SSCF by the deadline (11:45pm – February 28, 2019):
- Complete and submitted Online Application Form
- Project budget – Grant Budget Form (revenues and expenses must equal)
- Project Plan (one page document) – *NEW*
- Annual financial statements, preferably audited if the organization has been in existence for more than a year
- Copy of your most recent annual report, if available
- Agreement with partner (re. charitable status), if applicable
- All pertinent material that the applicant feels will help in the evaluation of the application.
For more information, contact:
Director of Community and Grant Stewardship
Updated: March 28, 2019