Cancelling or Postponing Events, Programs or Services
As many programs and events are already being cancelled and postponed, we encourage you to contact us should you anticipate not being able to fulfill any SSCF granting requirements; email firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com to start a discussion about possible options.
September 1st Deadline
Guidelines and Criteria
The South Saskatchewan Community Foundation (SSCF) grants to charitable activities that promote and enhance vibrant, healthy and caring communities in Southern Saskatchewan. The purpose of the Smart & Caring Fund is to allow the SSCF to respond to key indicators identified in its 50 Vital Community Conversations Report, for example Belonging, Well Being and Mental Health, Income, economy and poverty, Family violence and safety, Homelessness and housing, or Reconciliation and indigenous issues.
Grants in the range of $500 to $2000 may be awarded to successful applicants.
- SSCF can only grant to registered charities or qualified donees, and a Department of National Revenue Taxation Charity Registration number is an eligibility requirement. A non-charitable receipt is required. If not registered, a formal partner with charitable status is required and a formal agreement with the partner included as part of a complete application.
- SSCF funds are intended to benefit communities in southern Saskatchewan.
- Grants are intended to support projects rather than ongoing programs.
- Grants are intended to support projects that align with the purpose and intent of the Smart & Caring Fund and have a potential for positive community impact, as demonstrated by the application.
- Grants are made to organizations with the capacity to successfully complete the project, a realistic project plan, and a sound financial plan as demonstrated by the application.
- Grants are not made to organizations or for activities that promote discrimination or that do not comply with SSCF policy.
- Grants are not made to organizations engaged in multiple activities, which might redistribute SSCF funds to other organizations.
- Grants are not made to any religious organizations where the funds would be used to further the organization’s religious purposes.
- Grants are not made for any political purposes.
- Grants are not made to support projects normally financed by public tax funds or that appear to be sufficiently funded.
- Grants are not made for endowments, contingencies, operating or deficit financing.
- Grants are not made for fundraising, advertising or marketing activities.
- Organizations with any overdue SSCF reporting may be ineligible to apply to or receive new funds from SSCF.
- Organizations may only submit one application per Smart & Caring Fund deadline.
- Projects that have previously received Smart & Caring Fund funding are not normally eligible.
- A grant agreement will be required. Grants are only to be used for the purpose described and approved. Any unused portion of the grant must be returned to SSCF.
- A report on how a grant has been expended and the impact it has made toward “building a better community” is required 60 days after the project end date.
How to Apply
- Submissions are to be made to SSCF by using our new Online Grant Portal:
- Create a login profile with your contact information and that of your organization
- In advance of finalizing your application through the Online Grant Portal:
- Download and complete the required Grant Budget Form so that you are prepared to upload it as part of your complete application
- Have ready your Financial Statements and Annual Report to upload as part of a complete application; and
- Have ready any other pertinent materials, in electronic form, that you wish to upload as part of your application.
- Before applying, please read the application guidelines, and contact the SSCF office to confirm eligibility.
- You will receive a confirmation email within two days of receipt of the application. If you do not, please contact the SSCF office.
- SSCF office may request further details, if required.
- Smart & Caring Fund is a competitive grant program. The requests for support typically exceed the amount of funds available, and worthy projects may not be supportable. Applications are assessed by the Smart & Caring Community Committee, and decisions are approved by the SSCF Board of Directors.
- All SSCF decisions regarding an application and interpretations of guidelines and policies are final.
- SSCF has the right to update and revise its program information at any time.
To be considered a complete application, the following documentation must be received by SSCF by the deadline (11:45pm – September 3, 2019):
- Complete and submitted Online Application Form
- Project budget – Grant Budget Form (revenues and expenses must equal)
- Project Plan (one page document) – *NEW*
- Annual financial statements, preferably audited if the organization has been in existence for more than a year
- Copy of your most recent annual report, if available
- Agreement with partner (re. charitable status), if applicable
- All pertinent material that the applicant feels will help in the evaluation of the application.
- Online Application Portal – *NEW – NOW OPEN*
- Grant Budget Form
- Final Grant Report Form
March 1st, 2018 Deadline (One-time)
For more information, contact:
Granting and Digital Administrator
Direct: (306) 751-0056
Toll free: 1-877-751-4756
Updated: December 5, 2019